Why do I get the error "Unable to open database the file is being used by another user" when I try to open my Company file? I have opened the file before without a problem.
This is a known problem with Symantec Endpoint Protection with Auto-Protect enabled. It can be encountered on any security system (firewall, anti-virus, internet monitor) where QuickBooks has not been made an exception to security rules.
Symantec Endpoint Protection users will be able to open the company file immediately by disabling Auto-Protect.
For a secure and permanent resolution for Symantec Endpoint Protection using Auto-Protect, and any other 3rd party security application, key QuickBooks application files must be made exceptions to your security system’s rules.
Refer to your Security Application’s guide on making exceptions to security rules for the following QuickBooks application files:
1. FileManagement.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx-xx
2. QBCFMonitorService.exe located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\ QuickBooks
3. QBDBMgr.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx-xx
4. QBDBMgrN.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx-xx
5. QBGDSPlugin.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx-xx
6. QBW32.exe located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx-xx
7. QBUpdate.exe located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\ QBUpdate
(C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx-xx is the default installation directory. If you installed into another directory then use that directory. If you are not sure what your installation directory is seen the Additional Note below.)
You will also need to allow the port being used by QuickBooks in your firewall policy:
· Reckon Accounts 2018 use Port 10181
Reckon Accounts 2017 use Port 10180
Reckon Accounts 2016 use Port 10179
Reckon Accounts 2015 use Port 10178
Reckon Acounts 2014 - port 10177
Reckon Accounts 2013 - port 10176
QuickBooks 2010/11 – port 10173
· QuickBooks 2009/10 and 2008/09 – port 10172
If you still have a problem accessing the file
1. Symantec Endpoint Protection users can click here for the Symantec website for this error.
2. Other users should follow with the following steps:
- Restart the computer that is hosting the company file.
- Try to open the company file, if the same error occurs proceed to Step .
- Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server and ensure the company files shared folder is displayed in the "Folders that contain QuickBooks company files" applet.
- Copy the company file from the server and paste it on the local computer.
- Open the company file on the local computer.
- Close the file and copy the file back to the server's company file shared folder using a different file name so you do not overwrite the original file.
- Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server and scan the renamed file you just copied back to the server's shared folder.
- Open the company file on the server from a local computer.
To find the location of your installation directory:
· Right-click the QuickBooks 20xx-xx desktop icon and select Properties;
· Read the location in the Target box;
· Click on Open File Location to open to the installation directory in Windows Explorer.