Is Reckon Accounts Business compatible with Windows 10?
At the time of release of Reckon Accounts Business Range 2015, Windows 10 was still in the Tech Preview stage. No final version was available on which to build the latest edition.
Our testing with the Tech Preview suggests that the 2015 version will function properly on Windows 10.
We expect that other versions that worked on Windows 7 will also function adequately on Windows 10.
Reckon cannot guarantee that older versions or the 2015 version will be fully compatible with Windows 10, but as far as our experience has been, we expect they will function adequately.
Installation issue on native Windows 10:
Error 1920.Service QuickBooks Database Manager Service (QBCFMonitorService) failed to start.
Windows 10 will ship with Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 not activated. Reckon Accounts Business requires this service to be running.
Before installing Reckon Accounts Business turn on this service:
1. Control Panel > Programs and Features
2. Turn Windows features on or off
3. Scroll down the list to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and tick the box.
4. Click OK to save and exit.
You should now be able to install Reckon Accounts Business without difficulty.
If users of Windows 10 do experience difficulties running Reckon Accounts Business and QuickBooks then please consider our guide for running older editions on newer technology guidelines available on the community at:
and reproduced below.
Running older versions of Reckon Accounts Business and QuickBooks on newer technology
As the computer world moves forward with its technological developments older programmes find it harder to run on the newer technology.
At Reckon we make our next versions compatible with the latest technology, but if you continue using an older version when you upgrade your hardware, problems can emerge.
In most cases there are workarounds that will allow your older version to run on the new technology. In some cases you may lose some functionality.
Do take note that these workarounds will not always work 100% for everyone, and as most older versions are sunsetted, we no longer offer support on them. Your IT consultant may be able to make some useful suggestions. The ultimate solution is to upgrade your software to the current version which is compatible with the new technology.
The biggest problem is moving to a 64-bit operating system. For version before 2011/12 you will lose printing, PDF and emailing capability. So when upgrading, if you have a choice of 32-bit or 64-bit, then stay with the 32-bit option to maintain full functionality of your QuickBooks. Otherwise you will have to upgrade to the latest version.
Here are a few tips on some configuration changes to make to ensure your product runs smoothly on the latest operating systems:
1. Install with XP compatibility and Run As Administrator.
2. Set your launch icon to Compatibility with XP and Privilege as Run As Administrator.
3. PDF converter – assign it to an unique port.
4. Internet Explorer - set Security to Medium and Priovacy to Low.
5. Internet Explorer v10 and higher – add Reckon websites to Compatibility View Settings.
6. Windows 8 - Online Activation requires enhanced Protection Mode to be turned off
Here are the details.
· Do not use the autostart screen. Exit it, go to the root directory of the CD;
· right-click the setup.exe file and
· set Compatibility to Windows XP service pack 2 and Privilege to Run As Administrator.
· Now right-click on the setup.exe again and select Run As Administrator to install.
Your Launch Icon
· right-click it > Properties > Compatibility;
· tick the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP service pack 2;
· under Privilege, tick the box Run this program as an Administrator.
Set the PDF Converter to a separate printer port.
See https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/a9l45bkc1h76t for full details.
This article refers to the QuickBooks V404 PDF Converter for the current version. You will have eitherQuickBooks PDF Converter or QuickBooks V303 PDF Converter. Quicken users will have a Reckon or Quicken PDF Printer
Internet Explorer Settings
· Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab and slide Security bar to Medium;
· click the Privacy Tab and slide the Settings bar to low
Add Reckon to Internet Explorer Compatibility View Settings
In Internet Explorer > Tools > Compatibility View Settings, add the following websites:
Activate online (Windows 8)
· In Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Internet icon;
· In Security level for this zone, untick the box Enable Protected Mode;
· Restart Internet Explorer;
· Turn Enhanced Protection Mode back on.
· Restart Internet Explorer
Your older version will now run as good as it can on your new hardware.
Again, these steps won't guarantee 100% normal operation for all users. The ultimate solution is to upgrade your software to the current version which is compatible with the new technology.
Need more help?
Ask the Reckon Community at: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon.