Sometimes there is something blocking the proper operation of your program that prevents proper installation or activation. Running your PC in Selective Startup mode will turn off all non-essential services and applications that will allow an uninterrupted installation or activation.
For Microsoft Windows 10:
1. Log on to the Windows 10 computer with an Administrator account.
2. Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously
3. In the Run command box, type MSCONFIG and press Enter.
4. From the System Configuration box, go to the Boot tab. Under the Boot options section, check the Safe boot checkbox.
5. If you will be Activating your product, select also the network option.
6. Click OK, and when prompted, click Restart to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode.
For Microsoft Windows 7, Vista or XP:
1. Click the Microsoft Windows Start button and select Run.
Note: If the Run window doesn't display, press and hold the Windows icon button on the right side of the keyboard's space bar, and press the R key. This will display the Run window.
2. In the Open field, type MSCONFIG, and then click OK. The System Configuration Utility window opens.
3. Click the General tab, and then select Selective Startup.
4. Select the Load System Services checkbox and clear the Load Startup Items checkbox.
5. Click the Services tab, locate Windows Installer and make sure it is ticked.
6. Click Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox at the bottom of the window.
7. Click the Disable all button to clear all selected services.
8. Click OK. The System Configuration message window appears.
9. Click the Restart button.
You can now install or activate your product.
After installing and activating, revert your PC to Normal mode
1. Click the Windows Start button and select Run.
2. In the Open field, type MSCONFIG, and then click OK.
3. Click the General tab and select the Normal Startup option.
4. Click OK. The System Configuration message window appears.
5. Click Restart.
To install QuickBooks in Selective Startup mode
1. Run the QuickBooks installation from the CD-ROM. The QuickBooks installation should start automatically after placing the QuickBooks installation CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive. If it does not:
a. Double-click the My Computer icon on the Microsoft Windows desktop (or click the Start button and select My Computer). The My Computer window opens.
b. Double-click the CD-ROM drive.
c. Double-click the Setup.exe (or Setup) file to begin the QuickBooks installation.
2. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
If the installation is not successful, you will need to install using a hard disk installation, by copying the installation files to the hard drive of your computer. Keep your PC in Selective Startup Mode.
Before copying the installation files, you will need to configure your computer so Show hidden files and folders and file extensions.
Windows 7 & Vista
1. Right-click the Windows Logo button and select Explore.
2. Click Organize and select Folder and Search Options.
3. Click the View tab, select Show hidden files and folders and then clear the checkbox for Hide protected system operating files.
4. Click Yes on the warning and then click OK.
5. Close this window.
1. Right-click the Windows Start button and select Explore.
2. Select the Tools menu and select Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab and clear the Hide extensions for known file types checkbox
4. Select Show hidden files and folders and clear Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
5. Click OK and close this window.
Once this has been completed continue with the following:
1. Right-click on the Windows desktop and select New > Folder. This will create a folder named New Folder on the desktop.
2. Place the QuickBooks CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, if a message prompting you to install QuickBooks appears, click Quit.
3. Double-click My Computer on the desktop. The My Computer window opens.
4. Select the CD-ROM drive, and then select the File menu and select Open. The contents of the CD-ROM are displayed.
5. From the Edit menu, choose Select All
6. From the Edit menu, select Copy. Close the My Computer window.
7. Double-click the New Folder that was created in step 1. The New Folder window opens.
8. In the New Folder window, select the Edit menu and select Paste. This will copy the contents of the QuickBooks program from the CD-ROM to the hard disk.
a. Note: If the folder does not copy successfully, this indicates a problem with the CD-ROM or with your CD-ROM drive. Attempt to use the CD-ROM on another computer to see if you still experience difficulties. Otherwise, contact Customer Service for a replacement disk.
9. In the New Folder window, begin the installation process:
double-click the Setup.exe file (or Setup);
10. Follow the prompts to complete the installation
After the installation completes revert your PC to Normal mode.
Need more help?
Ask the Reckon Community at: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon.