Why won’t ReckonAccounts 2013 install? It continually gives an Error 1603.
You will receive this error if:
- The .Net Framework 3.5 component has not been activated on a Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 PC;
- Security or policy restrictions do not allow your user profile to access all the contents on the installation disk;
- components that Reckon Accounts Personal (Personal Plus and Home & business) is dependent on, are not accessible or corrupt.
Please follow these steps until the issue is resolved.
Step 1: for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 - turn on Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1
1. Control Panel > Programs and Features;
2. Turn Windows features on or off;
3. Scroll down the list to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and tick the box;
4. Click OK to save and exit.
You should now be able to install Reckon Accounts Business without difficulty.
Step 2: Uninstall previous version of Quicken and Reckon Acounts Personal and install in selective startup mode
If no previous version of Quicken or Reckon Accounts Personal have been installed, go to Step 3.
- Download and Save the following utilities:
Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.htm
Windows Tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed
- These utilities will be used in later steps;
- Disable all security software on the PC – firewall, Anti-Virus, real-time monitors, IP scanners, Desktop Managers;
- Run the Revo Uninstaller, select the Advanced option, to remove any traces of Quicken (there may not be any);
- Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and remove any traces of Quicken (there may not be any) – see http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=2676 for full details;
- Set your computer to restart in Selective Startup Mode – see http://library.reckon.com.au/library/pdf/Quicken_SelectiveStartupVista.pdf for full details;
- Reboot the PC and start up in Selective Startup;
- Install Quicken directly from the CD and folder \HAB\disk1\setup.exe;
- Restart the computer in normal mode.
Step 3: install from setup.exe
- Insert your Reckon Accounts Personal CD into your CD ROM drive
- The installation screen automatically appears. Close the window
- Double click the My Computer icon which can be located either on your desktop or through the Windows Start menu
- Right click on your CD ROM drive and choose Explorer
- Double click > HAB Folder > DISK1 folder
- Right click on setup.exe and select Run As Administrator. You may need to enter a username and password.
- Follow the onscreen installation prompts.
You will now be able to install Reckon Accounts Personal.
Step 4: for Windows 7 and older, or where .Net Framework is damaged - uninstall and reinstall .Net Framework
- Close all programs;
Refer to Microsoft support article kb976982 Method 2: Repair the .Net Framework for specific directions:
Care: you will be required to download additional utilities and user guides.
- If you are not confident in uninstalling and reinstalling operating system components and auxiliary services, please consult your IT professional.
Install ReckonAccounts 2013. If you still receive the 1603 error, then:
In Windows Explorer go to the CD/DVD drive;
Click on HAB >DISK1 > dotnetfx;
Right-click on Dotnetfx.exe and select Run As Admin (you may need to enter Admin credentials)
- Install ReckonAccounts 2013 again.
When installing older versions of Reckon Accounts Personal on newer operating systems you should install by using the ISsetup.exe rather than setup.exe. Once installed, right-click your launch icon> Properties > Compatibility, and tick the box Run this program as an administrator. If your version of Reckon Accounts Personal is more than a few years old, you should also select Compatibility Mode for Windows XP sp2.
Need more help?
If you still have problems you may find your answer on the Reckon Community at: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon.