I have restored my ReckonAccounts 2013 backup and the attachments are missing. Why are they missing and how can I retrieve them?
ReckonAccounts 2013 includes another backup option – to backup to a singular compressed archive file - in addition to the regular backup. The singular compressed archive file does not include the folder containing attachments (Attach).
The regular backup will include the attachment folder.
If you have attachments then Reckon suggests you use the regular backup rather than the singular compressed archive file.
If you restore the singular compressed archive file to the same location, and the attachment folder (Attach) still exists there, you will not lose the link to your attachments
If you restore the singular compressed backup to a different directory where there is no Attach folder, you will be able to recover your attachments if you still have access to an Attach folder and copy it to the new location. You may find the Attach folder in an older backup or in another location. You may have to re-scan recent attachments.
If you no longer have access to an Attach folder then you will need to rescan your attachments.
Making a regular backup
- File > Backup;
- On the Backup screen, uncheck the box Backup data to compressed archive (.rkn) file.
- Continue with other options and complete the backup.
Recover attachments when compressed archive file restored to a different location
When you click on a transaction that has an attachment but the Attach folder cannot be found, you will get the error: “There are no attachments available”. Do the following:
- Close this file;
- Find an existing Attach folder for this file and copy it into the directory for this restored file:
- If you are moving your files to a new PC, it may be on the old PC.
- You may need to restore an older backup – it would be best to do it on another PC as you may have to re-install an older version of Quicken.
- Open your restored file. You will not see the icon indicating an attachment, however if you click on the Attachment tab for the transaction you will see the attachment.
- Refresh the link to the attachment:
- Click on Attachment tab of the transaction to view the attachment;
- Click on File. The Windows Explorer window will open to the location of this attachment;
- Click on the file. This will create a second copy of the attachment;
- Highlight the first copy of the attachment and select Delete;
- Select Done to complete the refreshing. An icon will appear on the transaction to provide the visual hint for the attachment.
- Repeat these steps for all transactions with attachments.
If you obtained the Attach folder from an older backup you may need to rescan the documents attached after that backup was created.
Need more help?
Ask the Reckon Community at: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon.